Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Bible is Meant to be Read.

I don’t read my Bible enough. I always blame it on time but I know that is no excuse. Jesus made time to die on the cross for my sins, so I think I should make time to give him the credit he deserves. I say that so casually, Jesus died on the cross for my sins! How do I not say that in capital letters with exclamation points with more excitement in my tone? I don’t because I like many others become lazy in my faith, I don’t pray enough and I don’t make time to read my Bible. Reading your Bible is so important when it comes to yourrelationship with God. The Bible is God inspired words that are meant to be read.The first way to overcome lazy habits is to designate a certain time to read your Bible daily. If you just say “I’ll read it before bed” by then you’ll probably be too tired and you’ll say you’ll do it the next day.I fall into this often, so that is why you need to pick a specific time.
This is where I would say “My day is already full” but this is just another excuse. The come back to that is to wake up early. Yes, I said it wake up early for the sake of your relationship with God. I find this to be a challenge but it is the most rewarding. If you start your day in in the scriptures it is likely what you read will stick with you all day and play apart in how you conduct yourself that day. This is especially true if you read about something you’re struggling with because then it will be on your mind. If waking up early sounds completely out of reach then find a time during the day to designate for reading your Bible. By designating a time and doing it daily it will be easier to keep consistent.

Now that you’re reading it, you have to make the words come to life. It is so easy to read something and let it completely go over your head. I know for school all the time I just skim to get by. There is no point in skimming your Bible. I’m guilty of doing this and it’s so pathetic. Like by skimming I get some sort of cool points with God, but he’s probably just disgusted that I am to prideful to be honest with him and say “Hey God, I don’t want to read.” God would much rather hear your honesty. We haveto read these words and make them apart of our lives. When designating a time to read, it’s also a good idea to pick a topic. It could be a stumbling block for instance. Pick your time, pick your problem and dig into it.

It sounds so simple to be disciplined in this way, but it is difficult. By doing Being disciplined in the

Bible it will change your life and attitude. This brings me to the last point, accountability. This is difficult to achieve and because of that it is good to have someone hold you accountable to ask you if you’re reading. You could even read the same thing about discuss what you’ve read. To achieve this discipline it takes spiritual discipline and prayer—together these three disciplines can be a powerful foundation for your relationship with Christ.

1 comment:

Lizzy said...

Hey, this is a good reminder for all of us. Thanks! I totally need to check this site more often; there's some really good things you guys are writing.
Btw, it was really encouraging to be at the girls' Bible study today, too. I wish that I could still be around for the other ones! Oh well - I'll send my sister and some others to go as my representatives from ccc for next month. ;-).