Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Two-Facedness

I'm sorry for the delay and the fact that this will be a very short and somewhat scatter-brained lesson. This week we'll be continuing with the topic of issues that arise from poor self-image. As you probably guessed from the title, our focus for the week is on two-facedness.

We all know people we would call two-faced. Right now, we even have a new villain in an awesome movie whose name is Two-Face. It's not a term that we use as a compliment. Yet as much as we dislike people who are two-faced it's something that's hard to avoid in our own actions.


When I find myself acting dramatically different around different sets of people, it's usually out of a desire to fit in, fill a certain niche, or feel liked. This could demonstrate a lack of confidence in my actual personality.

Acting different around every group of people leads others to wonder which personality is really yours, and you could easily lose the people you changed yourself to fit in with.

Let me clarify something at this point. It is reasonable that there are certain things you do around some people and not around others. For example, I talk a lot more when I'm around certain people because I'm more comfortable with them, and I talk about slightly different topics with different people based on their interest and knowledge. Talking about new shoes with female friends rather than male friends is not two-facedness, it's sensible. Being a little more odd around your friends than you are around your family is not a crime.

No comments: